RockStar Youth Leadership Track
The RockStar Youth Leadership Track is a unique series of learning opportunities offered during the 2020 Training Institutes to support young adults in growing their capacity and knowledge to advocate for social change and systems that truly meet the needs of youth. The track also offers the opportunity for adults to understand how to create a shared space with young adults in their own communities through mutual respect and understanding.
The program is hosted by Youth MOVE National and a team of young adults in collaboration with the University of Maryland, Baltimore.
Youth leaders are at the center of the planning for the RockStar Youth Leadership Track to ensure the programming and learning offered are relevant and applicable to the real-life advocacy work that Youth MOVE chapters and other youth advocacy groups are doing every day across the country.
Who are RockStars?
RockStars, ages 14 and up, are ready to be empowered with information and skills, including:
- Youth - Young people advocating for themselves
- Youth Advocates - Youth with lived experience who are change agents in their communities
- Advocates for Youth - Young adults with lived experience who are advocating for youth engagement at all levels
- Supportive Adults - Adults who support youth in all stages to use their voices in system change
What can RockStars expect?
- Powerful and motivational opening and closing sessions with speakers and activities
- Inspiring workshops where we learn together to create change in our communities
- Opportunities to network with other youth and young adult RockStars from across the nation who are passionate about making a difference
- A unique focus on wellness and self-care in the movement
RockStars will have the opportunity to learn:
- Strategies used to bring change to communities around the country and how to apply them in your advocacy efforts
- How to be active in a rocking youth movement
- Fun and creative ways to tell your story
- How to connect with others in your community and how to develop partnerships for change
In addition to workshops on leadership and empowerment, the RockStar Youth Leadership Track includes workshops focusing on wellness, self-care, and strategies for positive overall health. Training Institutes sessions take place at the same time as the RockStar Youth Leadership Track. You are encouraged to attend any Training Institutes sessions that you feel will provide you with the tools you need to be an effective change agent, including those provided outside of the RockStar Youth Leadership Track.
Register to be a RockStar
- Register for the 2020 Training Institutes, make sure to indicate RockStar Youth Leadership Track
- Ensure payment of applicable registration fees
- If under 18, fill out the RockStar Youth Leadership Track Agreement and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it with you to the RockStar registration desk
Don’t miss the orientation! An orientation for all RockStar Youth Leadership Track participants will be held on Tuesday, June 30, from 3:00 - 5:00 pm.
Young adults under 18
For youth adults under age 18, a responsible person (such as a parent or guardian, a community member, or another adult attending the Training Institutes) must accompany you to the Training Institutes, accept responsibility for providing needed supervision, and remain accessible to respond to emergencies and other issues.
Check out the following resources that will help ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience at the 2020 Training Institutes: