Child Welfare Academy
CWA is currently transitioning online courses to a new platform to better accommodate your learning needs. Please follow the directions in your confirmation email for login instructions to your course.
2020 Resource Parent Conference. Please visit here for information.
If assistance is needed in locating and logging into your course, please contact our help desk.
Please see the CWA Fall course catalogue to register for pre-service, in-service, and resource parent training.
CWA envisions a competent, well-trained, highly qualified, and adequately supported child welfare workforce. CWA training supports the strategic vision of the Maryland Department of Human Services, Social Services Administration and aligns with the core values, principles, and practices of Maryland’s Integrated Practice Model.
The Child Welfare Academy (CWA) represents a long-standing partnership between the University of Maryland, School of Social Work and the Maryland Department of Human Services, Social Services Administration.
CWA is committed to enhancing safety, permanency, and well-being outcomes for Maryland children and families through the development and provision of training and education that is current, relevant, and responsive to the needs of Maryland child welfare professionals, resource parents, and kinship care providers. Training offered through CWA is designed to meet the unique needs of adult learners, with an emphasis on family-centered, individualized, strengths-based, culturally competent, and trauma-responsive principles and best practices.
Programs & Services
- Competency-Based Pre-Service Training for New Child Welfare Workers
- Ongoing In-Service Training for Child Welfare Professionals
- Advanced Level Workshops for Supervisors and Administrators
- Training and Curriculum Design/Development in Response to State-Wide Initiatives and Local Needs and Priorities
- Technical Assistance and Specialized Training to Support DHS Identified Priorities
- SAFE Home Study Training
- Supervision Matters Training Series for New Child Welfare Supervisors
- Recorded and Live Webinars on A Wide Range of Relevant Topics
- Transfer of Learning Activities and Supports
- Workshops and Regional Conferences for Resource Parents and Kinship Care Providers
- Evaluation Activities for Continuous Quality Improvement