Meeting the Needs of Children, Youth, Young Adults, and Their Families with Diverse Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE)
The Institute for Innovation provides:
- Technical assistance on policies, implementation, training, coaching, and evaluation related to diverse SOGIE service and system change
- Learning opportunities for health professionals through the Center of Excellence on LGBTQ+ Behavioral Health Equity
- Development, integration, and sustainment of best practices through the National Quality Improvement Center on Tailored Services, Placement Stability, and Permanency for LGBTQ2S Children and Youth in Foster Care
Sign up to receive our monthly newsletters for resources, policy updates, and events related to your work.
The Center of Excellence on LGBTQ+ Behavioral Health Equity
This Center of Excellence is designed to support the implementation of change strategies within mental health and substance use disorder treatment systems to address disparities impacting the LGBTQ+ community. We provide training and technical assistance opportunities for behavioral health professionals, including monthly webinars providing the latest information and best practices for supporting LGBTQ+ children, youth, young adults, adults, and older adults. Learn more
The National Quality Improvement Center on Tailored Services, Placement Stability, and Permanency for LGBTQ2S Children and Youth in Foster Care
Through this project, The Institute has worked with child welfare agencies in four states to successfully design, implement, and evaluate fifteen interventions serving LGBTQ+ youth and their families including nine clinical interventions, one family finding intervention, two training interventions, and three LGBTQ+ data collection interventions. Learn more
The study outlined here is one of the first of its kind to be conducted in a Midwestern state, where available data on LGBTQ+ youth is extremely limited. It follows similar studies in New York City and Los Angeles showing equally high representation of youth with diverse SOGIE in foster care. Together these studies provide evidence that in the middle of the country, as well as in large urban areas, a greater proportion of LGBTQ+ youth are represented in foster care than in the general population.
The New Normal: LGBTQ+ Youth Living Through COVID-19
The Philadelphia Coalition for Queer Justice and Intersectional Equity partnered with The Institute to host a two-day virtual symposium on the state of LGBTQ+ youth in the child welfare system and how their experiences have changed in light of COVID-19. This symposium gathered medical professionals, child welfare workers, prevention workers, mentors, and executives from a variety of disciplines. Together we elevated the voices of experts to a national audience in the pursuit of equity for our LGBTQ+ youth. Watch now
Coaching, Training and Virtual Learning Topics, including:
- Basic and advanced healthy SOGIE development
- Best practices with LGBTQ+ children, youth, and young adults in systems of care
- Identity specific content (non-binary, transgender youth, intersectionality, etc.)
- Design and implementation of best practices for youth with diverse SOGIE
- Clinical practice with LGBTQ+ children, youth, young adults and their families
- Implementation and evaluation of effective system change
Policy Development and Implementation Topics, including:
- Clothing policies/inventories
- Non-discrimination policies
- Room arrangements
- SOGIE data collection
- SOGIE disclosure and confidentiality
- Transgender affirming health care
Support for LGBTQ Youth Starts at Home: An #AsYouAre Project
The Institute for Innovation and Implementation at the University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Social Work (The Institute) has partnered with the Biden Foundation to create an animated short focused on family acceptance of youth with diverse sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression (SOGIE). This animated short focuses on the impact of rejection children, youth and young adults can experience in their homes and communities and provides examples and strategies to promote support, acceptance and affirmation of youth with diverse SOGIE. The Institute was honored to support the important work of the Biden Foundation’s As You Are: A Family and Community Acceptance Campaign and shares the commitment to ensuring equal dignity and opportunity for all LGBTQ Americans.
About the Biden Foundation
The Biden Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation established to carry on Vice President and Dr. Biden’s lifelong commitment to public service. By leveraging existing networks and institutions to support, serve, and advocate for LGBTQ communities, the foundation is dedicated to working toward a future where all people are equal in dignity and opportunity.