- Thursday, December 01, 2016 - Saturday, April 15, 2017
Date Start Time End Time 04/25/2017 09:00 AM 05:00 PM 04/26/2017 09:00 AM 03:00 PM
Presenter(s) Caitlin Ryan Jane Walker
If you are trying to register AFTER Friday, April 14th, please contact Molly Stair at firstname.lastname@example.org
The TA Network is hosting a SAMHSA sponsored 2- day training in partnership with the Family Acceptance Project ® (FAP). Dr. Caitlin Ryan along with the Family Run Executive Director Leadership Association (FREDLA) will lead the training to help participants learn about FAP’s evidence-informed family intervention and support model, which promotes well-being for LGBTQ children, youth and young adults. Attendees will receive training on family support needs for LGBTQ children and youth and on the FAP's research and family support approach to help diverse families to support their LGBTQ children.
This training day is designed for individuals who are connected to working with youth, youth adults and their families. This would include direct practitioners, supervisors, clinical staff, parent leaders, administrators and others working within Systems of Care.
Registration will begin at 8:.30 A.M. and the training will begin at 9:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M.
· Discuss the role of family acceptance and rejection on risk and well-being for LGBT young people.
· Describe specific family rejecting behaviors that are related to increased health risks for LGBT young people, including depression, suicidality, substance abuse, homelessness and HIV, and specific family accepting / supportive behaviors that help protect against risk and promote well-being.
· Discuss core principles and strategies to help families and caregivers to support their LGBT children, to help decrease risk and increase well-being for LGBT young people.
· Identify one to three specific change(s) you will make to implement this new information in your program's practices and related work with young people and families.
There will be a reception for all participants following the training at the Ruth Ellis Center. Click here for more information on the Ruth Ellis Center. Information regarding the reception will become available to all attendees soon.
This training day is specifically designed for family run organization leadership, as well as, family leaders, parent peer support partners, family run organization leadership, and lead family contact roles within Systems of Care.
Registration will begin at 8:00 A.M. and the training will begin at 9:00 A.M. until 3:00 P.M.
· Increase awareness, knowledge and understanding of ways that family-run organizations can help to support families with LGBTQ children, youth and young adults and their families.
· Discuss ways to integrate the knowledge, understanding and FAP’s family approach to wellness, prevention and care to help families learn to support their LGBT children.
· Consider how family-run organizations can develop services and supports that specifically focus on the needs of LGBTQ children, youth, young adults and their families.
· Discuss the support needed by family-run organizations related to outreach, engagement, programming, and implementation for LGBTQ children, youth, young adults and their families.
Marriott Courtyard Detroit Downtown is where the trainings will be held. There is a room block at Courtyard Detroit Downtown with a rate of $179/night. You can reserve your room by using this link. Phone: (800) 321-2211 If you will be making your reservation by phone, please mention "Family Acceptance Project" for the group rate.
- Free of Charge
- No breakfast and lunch will be provided at this event.
Location(s) Marriott Courtyard Detroit Downtown
333 East Jefferson Avenue Detroit, Michigan 48226
Discounted Parking $15
Inclement Weather/Training Cancellation: In the event that a training is cancelled, we will send you an email (using the same email address you used to register).
We may call or send text messages to confirm, as well. If you have any questions about the status of a training, please feel free to email us at TheInstitute@ssw.umaryland.edu.
Family Acceptance Project Behavioral Health Provider Training